Wednesday, September 24, 2008

One last hurdle before surgery

Today will be my final doctor visit with my local doctor for a preop heart and lung check. Yesterday Joyce and I went to Grinnell for my preanesthesia appointment, a little exercise consultation, and also meeting with Stef, the bariatric coordinator.

Again a very full day. The exercises with the theraband will be great for me to do, especially with the knee bothering me with the weather changes. I am so out of shape I could definitely feel the muscles working. Good deal! They need to work. Then we went on to the hospital for a preadmission appointment. The surgical nurse met with us to go over everything possible about my surgery including how I will be if I have the surgery laparoscopically or if I have it open. She also did my EKG, which was normal whew!, and my blood work. I was suppose to meet with an anesthesiologist but they were both tied up in surgery and I am not really worried about that aspect. I had a chest x-ray. Then we were off to see Ms. Stef.

Finally I saw the one thing I had wanted to do for weeks since I started this starvation process, the scale. There was a new nurse which took us back to the room. Then out to the scale, yes!!!!! I was down 18 pounds since my original visit. This would be my prediet weight, 329 pounds. Yup I put the actually weight down in writing, which boy is really hard for me to do. I have to do this as a definite this is where you are and each time I can see how far I have come.

They will not give me a definite weight loss goal, except for a healthy weight. That is okay. That is why I am doing this. Will I be model weight or even 150 pounds? I don't think so, but I think I will be healthy. I think I will not have to walk in a restuarant and see a chair that I can't sit in and have to find another, or wait an extra 20 minutes for a table because booths are just to iffy. I think I will be able to buy clothes in my own community and not have to drive to a specialty store. (although I am going to look pretty weird for awhile, I have no small clothes in my closet because I had figured I would never get thinner.)

Stef went over the statistics. Dr. Coster has been doing this surgery for 18 years. His training was done by a doctor who was originally trained by the doctor that invented the RNY gastric bypass. He has had 3 deaths that have been reported due with this surgery due to the fact that these people died within 90 days of the surgery. One was a woman who flew 2 months out from surgery developed a blood clot, local doctor treated her for cellulitis; a gentleman who had a heart attack 90 days after the surgery, and a woman who was 780 pounds and was at the University of Iowa given only 2 weeks to live. Her family thought this might be a last saving effort. She died 2 weeks out from surgery. He has a 2% leak ratio, which is extremely below the national average. I knew most of this going into the first appointment as I had been trying to figure out where I wanted to go. The other thing that really brought me to this man is that he has a very strong faith. He actually had a degree in theology and was thinking of ministry but felt his calling to be surgery.

Any way signed my consent, paid the remainder of my out-of-pocket to them, and we came home. Joyce is an angel, she listens to me rattle on, I am sure she must be bored out of her mind.

So today I go see Lark, then the count down, and waiting. I have enough to do that the time will fly by.

Oh yes the MIL issue....I am not getting involved....I feel bad....but I need to be calm and relaxed before my surgery....this time I am using self preservation and thinking of me.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Sounds like you have a great team of people looking after you Cyd. I know that this surgery will go well and you will be fine.

As for the model weight. Remember, those girls aren't healthy. They are one step away from being blown away in the wind. Your going to be healthy, your going to be having all those things you desire like kayaking in the summer and wearing the clothes you've always wanted.

I'm here for you. Praying for a fast recovery. I've heard lots of wonderful things lately about this type of surgery and I know you will be amazed about the transformation. I'm sure your knee has really been a bother and someday soon that won't be an issue anymore :)